Sunday, July 29, 2007

MM

MM. It stands for Multiple Myeloma. It also stands for My Mother... who has recently been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma.

Mom first noticed it this winter. We had joined Curves to try to win back our girlish figures, but after just four or five visits, her chest began to hurt. She thought perhaps she had pulled a muscle so we took a break from our workouts.

She didn't get better. Her chest pain worsened, and at one point she ended up in the ER, fearing a heart problem. Fortunately, her heart was healthy and all her symptoms pointed to costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall.

Her pain continued to worsen, and her doctor ran a blood test which came back suggestive of Multiple Myeloma. A CAT Scan seemed to confirm the suggestion of the blood test, and a bone marrow biopsy cinched the deal. My mom has Multiple Myeloma.

She immediately started her initial treatment... Thalidomide (yes, THAT thalidomide) along with dexamethasone. We were all very hopeful, and yet she appeared to be getting worse. A little over a week later, Mom was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and tests revealed her myeloma was more aggressive than originally thought. Getting the pneumonia under control was crucial.. but so was finding an effective treatment for the Myeloma. It was decided she would begin a new chemotherapy called Velcade. Her first dose was just a couple of days ago.

Two days later, we are so blessed that her pneumonia is cleared up and she is tolerating the new chemo very well.

My brother, Mike, and I were talking today, and we both have such a strong confidence that Mom will win this battle. Prayers are lifting all over the world for my mom and I know they are being heard.

It only takes a mustard seed of Faith... and I know that Mountain is being Moved. Can you hear the rumbling?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your message is so beauiful; it makes me want to cry. My mom is sick with It too. It hurtsher physically and emotionally and me too. I really do beleive she can get better but sometimes i do lose hope too because I become burdned with sadness, anyways i just hope mommies get healthy n that its not my fault; cuz guilt sometimes encompasses my feelings about the whole situation. ... :(...... HOPE.